As we look forward to celebrating Loreto at 100, we have so much to thank God. It is also a great opportunity to articulate once again the reasons of the existence of Loreto schools in Kenya, Tanzania and Ghana (Africa and other continents).
A Loreto school is one that is open to everybody. Our aim is to have everybody who desires Loreto Education to be able to receive it. Our schools are Catholic, with the person of Jesus at heart of every
Loreto School. We educate through faith and for faith because we believe that religion and faith enrich the human person. We work closely and are part of the Local Church.
Loreto schools regard the human person. We see human persons as children of God, whose personal dignity deserve respect. The human person has the right to total development of the physical, spiritual, emotional, social, psychological dimensions. Therefore, Loreto schools desire to offer holistic education. Our worth is in who we are and not what we have. We desire to have respect for all persons, for nature and integrity of creation.
Loreto promotes a sense of Justice in personal relationships. Loreto encourages all (parents, staff, and students past and present) to have a deep sensitivity towards existing injustices in families, school, and society. Our pedagogical criteria takes into account the student as the main subject of his/her own education.
We consider a global pedagogy that has the following characteristics
- Taking into account every student’s individual need
- Active pedagogy that promotes initiative and creativity
- Critical thinking
- Group work
- Spirit of service.
Loreto Education truly matches the current vision of curriculum reform in Kenya. The reform envisions to
- Enable all young people to become productive and responsible citizens, who take their place in the world with confidence and pride.
- Develop independent, confident, co-operative and inspired learners, who love learning and are keen, focused and able to apply what they learn.
- Ensure that future generations of Kenyan citizens are committed to being good national and global citizens, equipped with the skills, knowledge, attitudes and values to thrive in the modern world, while being confident and proud of their rich cultural heritage.
- Enable young people to co-operate with their peers around the world through enhanced digital literacy and mastery
It is therefore the responsibility of Loreto teachers, parents, support staff, heads, principals and Advisory Boards to live together with a vision of promoting the important task of educating our learners to be agents of positive change in the world.
ALL FOR THE GREATER GLORY OF GOD
Sr. Madeleine Sophie IBVM